car crash on Burke Centre Parkway

 Fargo Police Officer Killed, Two Injured in North Dakota Shooting


In a tragic incident that unfolded on a busy street in Fargo, North Dakota, one police officer was killed and two others critically injured, while the suspect responsible for the shooting was also found dead, authorities confirmed.

The shooting occurred just before 3 p.m. on Friday, leaving the community in shock and seeking answers. The Fargo Police Department released a late-night statement providing minimal details about the incident, including no information on the motive or how the shooting transpired. Witnesses reported seeing a man opening fire on the officers before being shot by other officers at the scene.

Eyewitness Shannon Nichole recounted the harrowing moment, stating, “I saw the traffic stop and as soon as I drove, shots were fired and I saw the cops go down. My airbag went off, and the bullet went through my driver’s door.” A civilian also suffered serious injuries in the shooting, further emphasizing the severity of the incident.

As of now, the identities of the officers and the suspect are being withheld pending notification of their families. The Fargo Police Department is actively investigating the matter, with more details expected to be revealed during a press conference scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Gregg Schildberger, the city’s chief communications officer, appealed for patience and understanding from the community during this difficult time. The support and messages received from the community have been deeply appreciated by the Fargo Police Department, as they grapple with the loss of one of their own.

Initially, the authorities referred to the incident as a “critical incident” without providing further information for several hours. Witnesses, however, shared their accounts, recounting the sight and sound of gunshots. Shortly after the shooting, officers focused their attention on a residential area approximately 2 miles away, conducting evacuations and collecting related evidence.

Chenoa Peterson, an eyewitness, described the moment when a man pulled out a gun and began firing at the police. Peterson’s immediate reaction was to assist, but considering her daughter’s safety, she chose to drive away from the scene. Reflecting on the close call, Peterson remarked, “It’s weird knowing that if you were 10 seconds earlier you could have been in that.”

The investigation into this tragic incident remains ongoing, and the community of Fargo stands united in support of the officers and their families during this challenging time.


Similar Posts